Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Inspiration-"Am I old enough for sex?"

The inspiration for this blog came from a recent post I made on Yahoo! Answers. Apparently, I convinced a girl to save herself for marriage. Truly, I was not trying to impose my beliefs on her! She was a virgin in a conundrum, and I thought she would benefit from my insight. Lo and behold, she chose my answer as the best answer. And I thought, hey, maybe this is what other virgins and shy, under-experienced non-virgins need. Maybe they could use an anonymous friend who is going through what they're going through, and maybe that friend could be me (and whoever else I can sucker into following my blog).

So here's the question and the answer that brought about this blog:

How old should you be to have sex?? Really old or really young?? I'm getting ready to have it and I want to know if it's the right choice!?! I am 20 years old.

I don't think there's a specific age. However, I don't think you should do it because you "feel" ready or think you're "old enough." Feelings are fleeting, and just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it (think chocolate and french fries).

As others have stated, you have to be ready to handle the potential consequences of sex. Have you looked into the different forms of contraception? Also, just because you have sex with a guy doesn't mean you'll get married. Clearly, you don't want to have sex with just anyone. Because you've waited so long, do you think you could handle breaking up with a man after having sex with him?

I'm also a virgin (and older than you!) for religious reasons, but I do know that the first time can really hurt for women. There could be bleeding, soreness, etc. Assuming you have a boyfriend already, is he worth the initial pain? Are you willing to let him break you in knowing it'll get better later?

If you've really thought thoroughly about all this and you're in a committed relationship, then it sounds like you're ready. If this is a "I like him, he likes me, we're in heat, I'm sick of waiting, let's go already" kind of thing, I think you need to keep your pants on and do some thinking first! I think you also should have had a conversation about his sexual history first and find out if he's clean of STD's.

No comments:

Post a Comment